Friday, November 13, 2009

Living death – life’s accounts.

Based on a true story – Written by Symon T. Taylor

1 year old – Teddy-Bear Nathan, Grandpa’s soul. A story provided by my father and my mother.
All was simple at the age, especially my inquisitive mind. At this age I could already escape my cot, and roam free throughout my house. Not this night though; on this night, I, the little one was asleep, safe in my cot.
On the other side of the house, my parents were watching TV, and next to that room was the toy room. On top of the toy box sat a little teddy-bear; I had named him Nathan, because it sounded like my name, and because it was a special bear. Nathan was a bear like no other bear, he could talk. If you squeezed his hand, Nathan would say “…this is my hand…” or if you squeezed his foot he would say “…this is my foot…” and so on and so forth. This bear was given to me by my grandfather on my dad’s side of the family. Strangely enough, the night I speak of was the night my grandfather died.
While my parents were watching TV, they were disturbed by the sound of Nathan’s voice. In the next room, they could hear the muttered words – “These are my eyes, these are my ears.” This was paranormal, for usually you would have to wait a while after Nathan would say something, to make him say another. But on this night, Nathan said both, one straight after another.
My parents were freaked out, so they ran straight into my room to see if I had played with Nathan. I wasn’t. There in my cot I was; untouched and undisturbed, just how my parents left me. They walked into the play room, and saw Nathan sitting on top of the toy-box; with its little teddy-bear grin.
To this day my parents think that was my grandfather’s ghost giving us his last advice, but I never really understood what he was trying to tell us. That was only until it hit me, one day in my backyard.
I kept repeating those lines in my head: “These are my eyes, these are my ears.” My mind became blank in confusion so I fell on my back, in the grass, and shut my eyes.
I could hear the rustling of the leaves on the trees; I could hear the rubber on the tarmac. I could hear the birds screech by, and the children play across the court. This is what my grandpa meant.
We can see more with our eyes closed…

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully narrated! I love so much how the last part of the post seems to drift on the wind...Just stunning! A very special time that is eternal!

    P.A.

    ReplyDelete