Monday, November 29, 2010

Sallie And Barry: The Bubble.

Picture From:



Just a short little scene I thought of whilst on the Train back from the City. Based on the Absurdist Play - "Waiting for Godot," written by Samuel Beckett.


Barry:
Sallie?

Sallie:
Yes Barry?

Barry:
Why we inside this bubble?

Sallie:
I donno. I can see my house from here!

Barry:
Sallie, we don't have homes. We're in this bubble!

Sallie:
Oh. I got some chocolate!

Barry:
Where'd you get the chocolate!? We've been in this bubble the whole time!

Sallie:
It's not real chocolate. I mean, I just used some of this dirt on the ground to make a pretend bar of chocolate.

Barry: Pauses and stares at Sallie in worry

Sallie:
What is it Barry?

Barry:
We're in a got damn Bubble Sallie! Where the hell did you get dirt from!?

Sallie:
Godot gave it to me.

Barry:
Who the hell is Godot?

Sallie:
He put us in this bubble, so we can float the skies away from the trouble underneath us.

Barry:
Yes, but who is he?

Sallie: Pause
I really like this chocolate!

Barry:
There's no chocolate in your hands Sallie! You're just nibbling on your shirt.

Sallie:
Oh... How depressing.

Barry:
Oh don't be discouraged Sallie. I bet this "Godot" person has something in mind for us, well if we've been put in this special Bubble.

Sallie: Starts blowing bubbles from a plastic stick

Barry:
Where the hell did you get those bubbles!?

Sallie:
They were just sitting there in my pocket looking all lonely like. Look at them go!

Sallie happily continues to blow bubbles. Barry looks disgruntled at the sight.

Barry:
Look, you going to let me blow some bubbles or not?

Sallie:
Well, have you checked your pockets?

Barry:
I don't have any pockets! Let me blow some bubbles.

Sallie: Cautiously passes the Bubbles to Barry
Don't waste them. Use only what you need.

Barry: Blows on them rapidly laughing hysterically
Oh this is soo fun!

Bubbles run out

Sallie: Looks as if about to cry
They're... They're all gone.

Barry:
Ahh, I've had my fun. So why are we in this bubble?

Sallie:
I don't care anymore. You've wasted all the bubbles!

Barry:
We're inside a giant bubble! Can't you just use some of the liquid off the ground for yourself?

Sallie:
But what if it pops Barry?

Barry: Angry sigh
I don't care, I've had my fun.

Sallie:
But what about me Barry? I don't want to hit the ground...

Barry:
Oh grow up Sallie! We're going to have to put our feet on solid ground soon anyway.

Sallie:
But I don't want to leave this bubble. It has everything!

Barry:
Everything!? There's no food, there's no water, there's nothing to do in here! Whatever Godot put us in here for, the end is going to be the best part.

Sallie:
I think it's comfortable in here. And look! I found a ball!

Sallie starts bouncing the ball

Barry:
Where the hell do you get these things from Sallie!?

Sallie:
I like finding things in my pockets! It's like a treasure hunt!

Barry: Franticly searches around clothes. Looks at Sallie in jealousy. Snatches the ball
Haha! This is going to be fun!

Barry throws the ball. The ball passes straight through the bubble

Sallie:
Well that was anticlimactic. Could have just asked me Barry.

Barry:
Why the hell do you get all these things and I don't!?

Sallie:
I don't know. Things just spring out at me sometimes!

Bubble Bursts. Barry and Sallie free fall.

Barry: Hysterically
Is this what you Godot had planned for us!? Just to wait all that time to fall?!

Sallie:
Look look look Barry! I found a cookie!

Sallie nibbles on cookie while Barry starts screaming

Barry:
It's been good knowing you Sallie you little bastard!

Sallie:
I wish I had my bubbles right now.

Barry lands inside another bubble. Sallie exits

Barry: Shouts and screams in happiness. Kisses bubble
Oh! Oh I'll never doubt this bubble again. It's scary out there! Did you find anything else there Sallie?

Barry looks around to see Sallie landing safely on the ground. Sallie re-enters frolicking in the grass

Sallie you bastard! Come back and get me!

Sallie takes no notice

Sallie: Talks to a tree
Hello there. Have you seen my friend Barry? We're being taken to Godot!

Pause

Shy are we? Don't worry, I won't eat you. I'm a carnivore, rawr!

Barry:
Sallie! I'm here! I'm up here you stupid bastard! Godot... I hate this bubble...

Barry starts screaming while falling upwards

Sallie: Talks to a pot plant
Hello Godot!



- A Short Script Play by Symon Taylor



This play probably doesn't make any sense to you whatsoever. It's highly symbolic though. You may take the bubbles as little extracts of technology distracting people everyday, or even being encased within them. And the moments spent without it feels as if you're falling, and that nothing can be done without them. But just fall, see what happens to you then. You may take the symbolic references in anyway possible, it's free for the mind to interpret; because that's what I aimed to do.

It's a story created in absurdity, purely symbolic.



1 comment:

  1. I adore "Waiting for Godot"! I have seen so many versions of it! Loved all the illusions and realities that seem to spin out each time! Your very clever Godot sidetrack maintains the spirit of the play and manages to be refreshingly different! This is brilliant! Love it!

    ReplyDelete