Friday, June 3, 2011

Cherry Red, the night at Bennies.

Dear Tis,

Still I dream of that night, and the one kiss I should never have given you.
Yet, with scarred heart, I kissed your lips; blind, standing on chance.

You were confused, self-ambitious, life planned to the T.
Then I came along.


Remember those days that passed before?


We talked like the complaining crows that feast on bread crumbs plenty,
Just to whisper "More more!" in just our closed space.

But the bread crumbs do lie there untouched,
Just in our reach, yet we sit as they stale.

We pick on the smaller pieces, just a little bit to satisfy.
But I starve to the line 'Nevermore,' to which I shall obey.

It was the one line you gave me, on the Red Carpets of Bennies.
But it's the one line you do not wish to trust yourself.

We do bicker as the Gods hold us in the highest favour,
Joking in the masses, teasing each other's achievements.

Even after you said nevermore, and even after we danced like rose vines in Spring,
Nothing has changed about how we feel, only a barrier of time.

Seven leagues does this barrier wall stretch to the sky,
Seven leagues you refuse to ignore, even after I have climbed to the top and thrown you down a ladder.

To pull you up is all I want to do, yet, how do you feel?
Or does reality say that I am lone on the ground, whilst you reside seven leagues in the sky?

Effort will come in time, yet still repeating and scratching in my mind you say nevermore.
And your arms stretch from behind me, embracing my wearied soul.

You talked to me about those bread crumbs that lie behind us,
For all you want is a loaf of bread.


Being ready to play the part of the baker's second, you think I am not.


We have not shared all of our stories yet,
And even now we trace our steps back from the bread-crumb trail, half eaten by scavengers.

As I leave my bakery, I spread the leftovers for the crows,
Who watch my life from every angle, waiting patiently to strike.

I find comfort though, every time I see you.
Just those eyes and that gleaming smile sets my heart-rate to zero.

Not a death defying act though, gazing my eyes on you.
I just hope you're not being hurt by it.

You will fly away in summer, to the northern lands, to your dream.
All apart of your grand plan.

I, will reside here however.
My dreams are living through me, and as I sleep, reality washes my hands.

Whatever choice you make, know that we owned the night at Bennies.
And however close we are, falling into the sea of bread is just a step forward;


One last step.


- Symon.

1 comment:

  1. So enigmatic! So many new thought levels! A sense of exploring! Fascinatingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete